BEING MINDFUL FOR ATHLETE SAFETY
Adults with access to athletes should be mindful to avoid even the appearance of behaviors that could lead to or encourage grooming behavior. Below are suggested policies to avoid actions and appearances of inappropriate behavior. Healthy, happy athletes should be our common goal and consistent behavior as outlined below should assist in attaining individual best results.
· Practice Sessions – Whenever minors are training on site, parents and/or legal guardians MUST have access to observe.
· One on One - Athlete and coach should always remain in an open area (no closed door), visible by others or if a private conversation is necessary and/or appropriate, another adult must be present in the room. A coach should never be alone with any number of gymnasts at any time.
· Locker Room (changing) – No unrelated adult is permitted to be alone with an athlete in a changing area, dressing room or locker room. Only a parent and/or legal guardian may be with their own child.
· Hands on Adjustments, Tapings or Massages. Rubdowns - massages, tapings or adjustment, rubdowns of any sort are not to be done without written consent from the parent and/or legal guardian and in an open area on the competition or gym floor in view of others.
· Stretching, taping, icing, correction and/or physical contact. Physical interaction with an athlete should be for correction and coaching and should not include any compromising positions. Physical interaction (coaching), Icing and taping should occur in an open area on the competition or gym floor in view of others.
· Medication/Drugs/Alcohol – An impaired coach, instructor, adult should have NO contact with an athlete at any time.
· Transportation – Minor athletes (under the age of 18) should never ride alone with an unrelated adult.
· Email, Texting and other Social Media – Any and all adult generated social media to a minor must also include the parent and/or legal guardian.
· Photos and/or Videography – Athlete photographs or videos may only be taken in public view with parent and/or legal guardian approval and must be appropriate for any public publication.
· No Gifting – Gifts are unnecessary and inappropriate unless all athletes are included for a specific purpose. No individual gifts allowed and must be with parent and/or legal guardian consent.
Reporting – All coaches and staff of a club member are mandatory reporters of any child abuse. If receiving a possible child abuse call you are to contact the child protection services and local police in your area. Suspected child abuse should be reported to Child Welfare.